Monday, March 30, 2009

Give Thanks In Everything

Okay, so Pastor in his sermon yesterday pointed out that we should give thanks for all things. He's been actually working on that theme for a while, but yesterday's was fairly memorable because it had a "wait...what?" attached to it.

He said that we should think of something we really really hate doing, even though it's for someone we love. Okay, got that.
Now, give thanks that we can do that thing, whatever it is. Um. O....kay....
And now, next time we do it, give thanks at the time we're doing it that we can do that task, whatever it may be.

Wait. What?

Yeah. What, you thought that Christ only gave thanks for the easy stuff? "Hey Father, thanks for the fish and stuff, make more. Thanks muchly." No, of course not. Christ gave thanks to the Father for everything.
And you know, his life wasn't all that easy either. But he did it because he loves us. So...

So okay. Driving to work this morning.

Hey, God, Pastor said to so I'm going to. I mean, we've had conversations about this before, so you're already real familiar with my opinion about this whole situation. So...um....thanks. Thanks that I can do this for my family. Thanks that I have the sheer ability to do all that's necessary to provide for my family. Thanks that I have all the skills necessary, and the physical capability to drive to Indy every week. And...thanks that I have a job, even though it might not be where I want it.

There, that wasn't so hard, was it?

Actually...yeah, it was. It was pretty freaking hard. But...I did it, and I'm going to try to do it tomorrow.

Thanks, God, that I'm in Indy right now at my job. And please help me to really mean it.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I don't know about you, but it has seemed that Pastor has been slapping me around quite a bit lately, and if there's one thing I know for sure, it is that I really need it! Thank heaven (literally!) for the Gospel!

    ReplyDelete

Grief

Grief is a silent, indisious destroyer. Grief is a noisy explosion. Grief is a dark, dank pit with no way out. Grief is huge and overwhel...