Monday, July 16, 2007

PRODUCT REVIEW

KEN'S STEAKHOUSE LIGHT ASIAN SESAME WITH GINGER AND SOY SALAD DRESSING

Oh. My. Gosh. This stuff is great. The ginger lends a nice heat-zing to the salad, without being overwhelming. The sesame provides a light, nutty flavor, and the soy nicely offsets and highlights both, without being too intrusively salty (a failing I've noticed in some soy-based recipes). I have found I need very little salad dressing when I use this - just enough to moisten the leaves of the salad a little bit. No need to goop a lot on to get flavor, as I find necessary with several other salad dressings. This is my absolutely new favorite. Sweet, nutty, salty, gingery, spicy - all with just a little teeny bit of dressing.

Recommendations: use a flavorful, nutritious mix of greens with this. Iceberg lettuce would be wasted and overwhelmed. A mix of greens that carry their own flavor is essential. I've been using a Mesclun spring-mix, and a lot of fresh baby spinach, and they do very well. Romaine may be able to hold its own, but I certainly wouldn't go any lighter than that.

Ken's Steakhouse Fat-Free Sun Dried Tomato Dressing is another good choice, but it's a little too sweet for my taste and not enough Vinaigrette. I actually prefer Newman's Own Lighten Up! Sun Dried Tomato Vinaigrette, as it imparts a little more zing. Again, no need to use very much at ALL. Nice tomato-vinegar blend; no one single flavor is overwhelming, and it has just enough sugar to offset the harshness of the vinegar.

Be aware, though, that the Newman's Own is NOT Fat-Free; it's just lower in fat than the "regular" edition of the SunDried Tomato dressing. VERY much worth the money, though.

Summary: Two Forks Up for the Ken's Steakhouse Asian Sesame with Ginger and Soy (although I'd prefer they come up with a shorter name for it! ;) )

One Fork for the Ken's Steakhouse FF SunDried Tomato Dressing.
1.5 Forks for the Newman's Own "Lighten Up" SunDried Tomato Dressing.

And, thanks to my friend who clued me in about the Ken's Steakhouse dressings. MUCHLY appreciated, Kim. <3

2 comments:

  1. Hey...you're welcome.

    The Asian dressing goes well on butter lettuce as well. Especially if you use it as a "wrap" for some chicken and a little cheese or something.

    YUMMY.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again! Hm, I may have to try that wrap idea soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Grief

Grief is a silent, indisious destroyer. Grief is a noisy explosion. Grief is a dark, dank pit with no way out. Grief is huge and overwhel...