Wednesday, August 8, 2007

What's in YOUR water?

Are people really this stupid? I ran across this article, wherein the authors make a big deal out of the fact that Aquafina, bottled by PepsiCo., is originally - GASP! - tap water. Apparently using a municipal water source for your water before running it through seven filters, including a reverse-osmosis filtering process, is bad.

I mean, really. The article treats it as though that's a bad thing. Where the heck did they think the water came from, Magical Water Pixies? The article also says that people just down the road from the bottling plant can get water out of their tap for far less than a bottle of Aquafina. Well, duh. Of course they can. But if they drink it straight from the tap, it's not filtered, is it? The whole "filtered" concept gets left behind in the article - it's the source that's the issue, apparently. My personal favorite is this quote:

"most people don't know that Pepsi's Aquafina, Coke's Dasani, come from our public water systems." Here's an idea: READ THE LABEL. Every single bottle of Aquafina & Dasani I've ever bought tells where it was bottled, and the source of the water. This isn't new. "Bottled in Cincinnati, OH" tells me that it was...bottled in Cinci. Probably using the Cincinnati, Ohio, water supply as the original source of the water.

It boggles my mind that people supposedly can't make this intellectual leap. Are they not reading the label at all? Did they think the water was generated on-site, with 2 giant containers of Hydrogen, a giant container of Oxygen, and some Chemist sitting there cackling maniacally? Or is this just another step toward "I don't want to think. I want the government and Large Corporate Entities to do it for me."?

Are people really buying bottled water thinking that it's some Exotic and Exciting Water From Another Place? Thinking that somehow tap water from halfway around the world tastes better than their own tap water?

If that's the case...people, you get what you deserve. I, for one, am going to go enjoy my bottled water, knowing full well it doesn't come from Magical Hydration Pixies, and not really caring that it was bottled just down the road. I like the taste. Not because it's someone else's tap water, but because it's purified and filtered. See, I can taste the chemicals in the water, and I don't like them. That's why I buy certain bottled waters. And I don't much care where the water came from, as long as it's IS purified, and not just Someone Else's Tap Water.

Read. Learn. KNOW what you're doing, how you're spending your money, and what you support! DON'T rely on everyone else to tell you what to do and how to think! If you do, you're just lazy. "You reap what you sow" isn't just a weird phrase.

2 comments:

  1. Glad I'm not the only one that has had this thought.

    However, if I can avoid bottled water, I do. The water that goes through the majority of soda machines that make their own ice is filtered....so I'd rather spend at most .25 for the cup and get water that way, then $1.25 for the bottle with the corporate name.

    Cool blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's what I usually do, actually - unless I'm on the road and want something that I can stick into a bag and it won't leak.

    And hey, at work, I get icewater for free. Yay for free filtered water! (And it tastes pretty dang good.)

    ReplyDelete

Grief

Grief is a silent, indisious destroyer. Grief is a noisy explosion. Grief is a dark, dank pit with no way out. Grief is huge and overwhel...