Wednesday, December 19, 2007

What is a missionary?

Missionaries - we all know who they are. They're the people who live in exotic, far away lands, with people of different cultures. Bringing Christ to the Nations. Different languages, different cultures, different people, different countries. It takes a special kind of person to be a missionary. They're special. They're called. They're God's Important People. Lots of special training, lots of special work...right?

There's another kind of mission field, though. I go out into it every day. Showing Christ to the people around me. Following God's will and God's Word - even when it's not convenient or easy. Believing and trusting and HOLDING FIRMLY to Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Praying and living each day believing that GOD'S will shall be done - not MY will. Living according to His will, His word, and His purpose.

That's my mission field. I'm a missionary to lots of people - including fellow Christians. Who knows what they need - maybe just by being there I can help them in their faith walk. Maybe just an email, or a smile, or a comment is all they need to help them right now. Maybe it's something greater. Maybe I'll never know the purpose to which God is putting me right now. But that's OK, because I know that He is putting me to a purpose. He does have a plan, and it all works together for the good of those who love Him.

No, I don't have to go to exotic, far-away lands to serve in a mission field. I'm in my mission field, day in and day out, doing the mission I was called to do. I just pray that I can do it well, and faithfully. It's hard sometimes to remember I'm in a mission field. It's hard to "show Christ to the nations" - or even my friends and family sometimes. But, I also hold tight to Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grief

Grief is a silent, indisious destroyer. Grief is a noisy explosion. Grief is a dark, dank pit with no way out. Grief is huge and overwhel...