Tuesday, February 12, 2008

So far...

I encountered a term I hadn't heard of before: Caloric Shifting. Someone or another was touting the "Fat Loss 4 Idiots" plan, and I thought "Huh. Interesting..."
The basic idea is that your body gets used to the same caloric intake every day, and "adjusts" itself accordingly to burn approximately that number of calories. So, if you try to stick to a 1500-Calorie-per-day diet, your body will fairly rapidly adjust to burning only 1500 Calories per day. Metabolisms are like that. Snotty little things.
So, the premise is, since your metabolism adjusts, fake it out. YOU adjust too, so it can't get "in a rut". Eat high Calorie one day, and really low Calorie the next.
So I asked WildStrawberry about it, and she said, "huh. Sounds like the Wendie Plan for Weight Watchers." I checked it out, and yes, yes it does indeed sound like the Wendie Plan! I read the description of the Wendie Plan, and thought, "Huh, that makes a LOT of sense. I'm gonna try it!"

Fortunately, the "WWCalc" program for Palm PDAs is easy enough to adapt for it, as long as I remember a couple things, like "I'm doing this week by week, NOT just day by day".

And I've discovered it makes it easier for me to think, "eh, even though my very most favoritest food (pizza) is available - FOR FREE (even better), I'm saving my Points for my "High Day" this Friday," and not go scarf some free pizza. Did I mention it was free?

So...so far, I'm happy with it. Yay!
We'll see if it's still this easy and useful in a month or two, when I'm getting VERY tired of journaling, VERY tired of tracking points, VERY tired of "oh, mustn't have, saving for..."

Although I think as long as the scale keeps going in a direction indicating loss of mass on my part (or an alarming gravitational problem on the Earth's part), then it'll continue to motivate me to keep going.

2 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo!

    I think you'll make it and you'll begin to really like it. It'll eventually become second nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about the Wendie plan, but I do remember that my Weight Watchers instructor told us in the course of her losing 150 lbs. that when she hit a point where nothing was happening, she would do something completely different for a couple of days...she would have a lot of protein....and then when she went back to the plan, it started working again.

    ReplyDelete

Grief

Grief is a silent, indisious destroyer. Grief is a noisy explosion. Grief is a dark, dank pit with no way out. Grief is huge and overwhel...