Monday, February 4, 2008

Taking Up, or Giving Up?

Yesterday was Transfiguration Sunday. That means that in 2 days, we celebrate Ash Wednesday. Consequently, I've been contemplating "giving up for Lent". In the past, I've generally not chosen to give up something for Lent, just because I really couldn't come up with something meaningful for me, that didn't feel like "giving up for Lent because everyone else is and it's the Thing To Do." So I didn't.
In the past, I've heard mention also of TAKING Up For Lent - the taking up of a GOOD habit or something beneficial, just for 6 weeks, to help IMPROVE oneself. I thought that was an interesting idea - but, again, nothing really came of it.
However, this year, I'm giving up AND taking up.
I'll be taking up "Weight Watchers Points Program" again - to the extent of logging, tracking and keeping within my "points range". I don't do the meetings, or the online stuff, or whatever. I have a "WW buddy" already, and once she reads this I'm sure she'll keep me on track. :D
So at first you'd think my answer to "fine, that's your taking up, what's your GIVING up?" would be "duh, poundage." Which, really, it is, but in addition I'm giving up Self Indulgent Eating. I've been indulging myself with food for the last while, and not only is it showing up in my waistline, it's also contributing to my lousy attitude, depression and generally making me feel like crap.
So.
I'm giving up Self Indulgent Eating.
It's only for six weeks.
And, really, even though it is for 6 weeks, and it won't be easy, I'm gonna go through that 6 weeks whether I watch what I eat or not. It's MY choice if I want to arrive at Easter even fatter, more bloated, and generally feeling crummy, or if I arrive at Easter at least knowing that I can, in fact, limit my eating. And I'll probably feel a lot better, and weigh less.
And who knows, I might figure out how to divide by zero by then.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget that the idea is that when you are tempted, you contemplate your weakness and sinfulness and turn to God in prayer.

    I am giving up wheat and sugar. It is the next step in what I need to do, but it is always hard for me, so this is my way of turning this struggle over to God.

    My weight problem is caused by hyperinsulinemia, causing weight gain around the front, hormone issues, acne, miscarriages and fertility problems, etc. I never had luck with the points system or Weight Watchers.

    On my best weeks of sticking to the points system, I would gain weight, because low fat things are generally high in starch and low in fat and cause an insulin surge, my body cannot process the sugars well, and so they are converted to fat.

    So its meat, veggies, and fruit for me. I feel better when I do it, I lose weight, but I am so tempted.

    I'll be praying for you. I know it gets even harder when you have a transitory lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete

Grief

Grief is a silent, indisious destroyer. Grief is a noisy explosion. Grief is a dark, dank pit with no way out. Grief is huge and overwhel...