Saturday, July 12, 2008

MUCH more progress!

I spent FAR more time in the pool yesterday than I have so far - and way more than I'd planned on. BUT, we had People Over (Hi Wade! Hi Rosemary! Hi Luke! Hi Naomi!) and so we had fun in the pool. I was very careful, and I still did my laps and stuff, though. Last night Kev started The Great Cane Search. He found one that we'd bought as sort of an "emergency just in case" cane that folds up, and set it up for me for "whenever".
Well, me being me, I had to try it out right away. It was rather hard going, and I had to hang on to him as well as the cane at first, but I found out I was Doing It Wrong. I had the cane on my right side - apparently the thing is supposed to be on the opposite side of the injured leg. Okay, whatever, seems counterintuitive but bygolly it works. I tried it out this morning the "right" way and OHMYGOSH it is sooooooooo much easier than using the walker!!!

Now I have to concentrate on "gait" and make sure my foot actually flexes and bends at the ball, pushing off the right way, instead of sorta sliding sideways and pushing off with the inside of my foot.
I'm so happy - if I can do the cane all day today without pain or problem, then I'll try it again tomorrow. And if I can use a CANE tomorrow, I can get up into the balcony (cane and handrail) where I belong, dangit. Of course, that's going to make going down to Communion problematic. One thing at a time. :D

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! So thrilled for you.

    I never would've known that about the cane...hmmm

    ReplyDelete

Grief

Grief is a silent, indisious destroyer. Grief is a noisy explosion. Grief is a dark, dank pit with no way out. Grief is huge and overwhel...